Sunday, November 15, 2009

solids - finally...

We starting trying solids at 4 months with Andrew because he was so hungry! Up until 4 months Andrew was doing well nursing only and eating about 5 times a day (a good schedule of 8, 11, 2, 5, 9). Starting at 4 months Andrew got the 45 minutes intruder and it lasted for a whole month! So the last 4-5 weeks have been tough for us. He got to the point where he was nursing 6 to 7 times a day (every 2 hours) - and he really wouldn't sleep. We knew he was hungry but my milk supply was still good, so we stuck with nursing and tried offering him solids. He hated them. For 4 weeks I made solids and danced around in front of his face like a crazy person to try to get him to open his mouth and accept them. He wouldn't. And when I would finally get a smile out of him I would jam that nasty rice cereal in his mouth... which he would promptly spit back out. It got to the point where he didn't even want to get in his high chair because he knew he didn't want to eat that stuff.
"Look Mom - this is my mad face which means I don't like this stuff... hence the reason I have spit it out all over myself." But I guess I know I am still cute... So good news to report - 2 days after Andrew turned 5 months old he finally started accepting solids. I gave up on the rice cereal - I mean it really is so nasty and I made him some sweet potatoes (can't believe we are already back to making baby food again). He loved the sweet potatoes! Basically starting on the same day he accepted solids, he also started taking really good naps again. All I can say is... finally! I think it was a coincidence that both things started going better on the same day. I am so glad those last 5 weeks are behind us and am excited (and not excited at the same time - oh the hassle of baby food) to be starting this new phase. Here's to hoping this becomes a trend.

No comments: