So today at work was one of the worst days - not because of the work I was doing or because it was busy, but because of my pumping mishap. So here is the story. I went to pump at work at like 9:15. When I sat down and started to pump I realized that one side of the pump wasn't working. So I tried to fix it. The first thing I did was to switch out pumps. This didn't work, it was still broken. The I tried switching around parts and figured that my tubing must have a leak in it somewhere. So I went up to 8 tower (the post-partum floor) and harassed a nurse into giving me spare tubing that is not supposed to be given out - because naturally I am somewhat freaking out - I have limited time, I have to pump, and everyone is watching the clock waiting for me to get back... So I run back down to the employee lactation room on the 7th floor and try the new parts. They do not work. At this point I am SO frustrated. So... I go and rummage through the drawers and find some more spare parts. I try changing out various valves and what not and finally it starts working!
I am overjoyed that it is working and so I am praying and thanking God that it is finally working after 30 minutes (more than half the time I am allotted to pump). And then I feel something warm and wet on my leg. And I look down and realize that in my haste to diagnose the problem with the pump I have forgotten the most basic thing of all - to screw on the bottle to collect the milk! (as in the picture above - see how the bottles are so nicely screwed in). And so I realize that I have been pumping for the last 3 minutes not in to a bottle but all over my scrub pants. Great. So now it looks like I have peed 3 ounces of urine all over my pants... and not only that but it is going to reek in about 2 hours of rotted breastmilk. So... I call my friend Pamela who is working downstairs in the pharmacy and she brings me a pair of OR scrub pants. So after I get done pumping I am stuck in this tiny room with 6 other girls and I have to change out of my navy scrubs into some ill-fitting, 3 sizes too large bright green OR scrub pants (with my mismatched navy blue scrub top). After all that - which I actually had to laugh at because it was very comical (and I told several other people who all had a good laugh) - the redeeming factor was that we got some free navy scrubs (also at least 3 sizes too large) for pharmacy week. So I was eventually able to change into my free CMC navy scrubs and head home, 1 hour late, with a large bag of laundry.
2 comments:
Lindsey that was HILARIOUS!!!! You're gonna have to give me the ins and outs of the lactation room!
That sounds like something that would happen to me...thanks for sharing...it's endearing stories like these that grow my love for you friend.
Post a Comment