Thursday, June 4, 2009

beach trip (part 1)

For Memorial Day weekend (I guess about 2 or 3 weekends ago) Adam and I packed up and headed down to Myrtle Beach with Caleigh.  We left on a Thursday night after dinner with hopes that Caleigh would sleep in the car all the way down.  In actuality she mostly cried in the car and slept intermittently.  Granted she was running a 103 fever all day - but hoping it was a virus (and it was!) we braved the trip anyway.  We had some fun activities that we hoped to do with Caleigh while we were there.  On Friday morning we made pancakes and then went to Ripley's Believe It or Not Aquarium which was expensive but so fun.  Caleigh liked pointing out the fish, though her favorite thing was turning a wheel on some pipes (something of course she could do anywhere).  Adam and I got to touch stingrays so that was neat.  We also learned that sea horses mate for life and that it is the males that get pregnant and carry the eggs to term - that was of much interest to me seeing as I was about 36 weeks pregnant at the time.  On Friday afternoon we headed to the pool - 
I am being very brave to capture myself in a maternity swimsuit at 36 weeks... Caleigh really loved the pool but kept wanting to walk down the steps with no floatie on - but when you would take her in the deeper water she would get frustrated that she couldn't do it herself.   On Saturday morning we packed up (a lot!) of stuff and headed to the beach (we weren't staying on the beach).  Caleigh's favorite part of our trip was putting on sunscreen - she loved getting it sprayed on her and then 'helping' rub it in.  Often she would walk around and pick up the sunscreen and then try to put it on herself and us and then pretend to rub it in.  It was very cute - and if you haven't made the switch to spray sunscreen you have to do it - Adam and I have been using it since our honeymoon in 2004 and it is fabulous (and so easy with kids!).  I did use the stick sunscreen on her face so it would run into her eyes.  Guess I got these pigtails a little lopsided.... Once at the beach Caleigh wasn't so sure what to think.  She hadn't had a fever since Friday afternoon but still wasn't her normal self.  When we took off her sandals and her feet touched the sand she immediately freaked out and kept holding up her feet for us to brush the sand off of them.   She was quite the priss. After much convincing (and some whining on her part) we were able to get her to play in the sand for about 10 minutes.
The water was even less enjoyable for her - she really hated the way her feet would sink in the sand. We finally resorted to Adam sitting with her on the towel trying to convince her to play and me sitting in a chair reading a book (I think I read maybe 1 page).  She was pretty interested in the birds that were on the beach but not enough to actually walk on the sand.  We ended up leaving after maybe an hour and a half.  After Caleigh's nap on Saturday we took her to do one of our favorite beach activities - play putt-putt!  She was mostly into trying to pick up all of our balls and go put them in the hole.  But Daddy is convinced we are going to have a little golfer... Are we related or what... Unfortunately Adam beat me by 3 strokes so that was a little sad - but we did each get a hole in one! See the next post for part 2 of our adventure...

No comments: