Saturday, April 24, 2010

peanut is potty trained!

I am thrilled to report that this beautiful big girl is now potty trained and wearing big girl panties! We did a one day potty training thing (Potty Training in a Day) where basically my dad kept Andrew (thanks PopPop) and I loaded Caleigh up with juice and tons of treats - salty and sweet - and all we did all day was potty. Seriously she must have peed over thirty times that day... at least. April 14th was the day and in the weeks prior we talked it up big time about how soon she was going to be all done with diapers and she was only going to tee tee on the potty like Mommy and Daddy.
We bought the supplies - little potty (which we had for quite a while so she could get used to seeing it and actually used it several times before potty day), tons of treats, big girl panties (elmo!), and a new doll. The premise of this potty training method is that basically in one day you put them straight into panties and then you spend a little time in the morning letting the child 'teach' a baby doll how to use the potty. Caleigh did so good and was thrilled to teach her baby Abby how to be a big girl and go potty (and especially thrilled when she got to eat her treats). I was discouraged early on by 2 accidents before 8:30 am and by her saying a couple of times, "Yaya no tee tee in potty, Yaya tee tee in diaper." But the diapers were all gone - she helped me give them all to Andrew in the morning. But after that she caught on super fast and didn't have any accidents the rest of the day. (*disclaimer: she was SO ready to potty train - in the days before potty day she would tell us she needed to tee tee and ask us to take off her diaper so she could use the potty - several times a day). She has really done so well with it and for the first 5-7 days we put her in pull ups at nap time but we have now transitioned off of that because she kept her pull ups dry at nap time every day except the first day of potty training. So now she sleeps in panties for naps and is still in pull ups for bedtime (though we are thinking of transitioning to panties at night soon because she has been keeping those dry as well). She has seriously done so well with the tee tee. The other business is a whole other story through that I won't go into here. In almost 2 weeks we have had maybe 4 or 5 accidents total, including 2 on that first day. I was so worried about this transition because I really didn't mind having her in diapers - I mean Andrew is in them too so changing 1 or 2 kids diapers wasn't a big deal to me... and I loved the convenience of diapers. But just as in all of the transitions she has gone I have been pleasantly surprised (I shouldn't be - as we serve such a good God that abundantly lavishes us with His grace) that it never is actually as bad as I think it is going to be. It is so funny and cute to see her running around in panties all time time and to hear her say, "Uh-oh Mommy, I need to tee tee." I can't believe we have already achieved this milestone - she is growing up so fast!

No comments: